Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole Slow Cooker
This Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole Slow Cooker is made in the crock pot, saving you valuable oven space. A secret ingredient and a little honey sweeten this side dish, making it much healthier than the traditional version!
- 3 ½ – 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium)
- 2 medium apples
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Scrub and peel the sweet potatoes, then chop them into 1-inch cubes and place in slow cooker. Peel the apples and chop them into 1-inch pieces; add to the slow cooker. Add the water, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cover and cook on high heat for 3-3 ½ hours, until sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes and apples until your desired level of smoothness. If you like, you can also use an electric mixer to achieve a smoother consistency.
- Add the butter (if using) and milk, and stir until well combined. Sprinkle on the toasted, chopped pecans and set your slow cooker to the “Keep Warm” setting for serving.
You may be interested
5 Tips for revive foodChristina - Dec 15, 2017
5 Tips for revive food: wilted: A quick soak in ice water for 5 to 10 minutes is often enough…
Easy Stuffed Chicken ParmesanChristina - Nov 07, 2017
The delicious Stuffed Chicken Parmesan recipe I’m sharing today is a lighter, insanely easy version you can make at home…